Sunday, October 21, 2012

Recent Bird Observations

Since I know many of you are not signed on to receive posts from DE-birds, I wanted to add some recent special observations from DE-birds.

• First, from me:   
Peregrine friend to Osprey in need
-->
 Of my many experiences with raptors, today was certainly one of the most amazing. While in my boat the Kittiwake, fishing along the Lewes inner breakwater, just north of the Cape May-Lewes ferry terminal, I observed an adult Bald Eagle chasing an Osprey trying to steal its fish.

OK, I have seen this before, and as expected, the eagle was getting closer and more threatening to the Osprey. Then literally out of the blue appeared a Peregrine Falcon. It relentlessly dove upon the eagle, and quickly forced it to abandon its Osprey chase. The Osprey went south, the eagle went north, and the Peregrine flew west right over me as if to say: “See, I am friends with some birds.”

• Second, from Andy Ednie's weekly report:   
RBA: Birdline Delaware, 10/19/12:
This has been the year of a PINE SISKINS invasion; one feeder in Bear reported 66 PINE SISKINS plus 8 PURPLE FINCH, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and 2 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS."

Bottom-line message: Be alert for many unusual and even rare birds this winter, at your feeder, and almost anywhere.

Looking forward to a great field trip to Gordon's Pond this coming Wed, Oct 24. 
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment