Friday, May 2, 2014

Road Scholar Gordon's Pond bird walk 5/2/14

Our walk this morning was in mostly sunny and only a bit cool conditions, and during it we observed 5 very nice birds we had not seen previously this week. The new birds were: Belted Kingfisher, Blue Grosbeak, Stilt Sandpiper, American Oystercatcher and Red-throated Loon. That brought our group list total to 123 species for the week.

My highlights for today were the male and female Blue Grosbeaks, as they were absolutely awesome viewed through the scope, probably no more than 30 ft. away (I am sure Neal got some great photos which I will post when I get them). I also really enjoyed the Stilt Sandpiper, which we all got to study at some length. It is an uncommon shorebird, which I do not get to see every year.

And from this afternoon, here are 2 pics in our backyard. (You get to do the id :)

These pics were shot through our kitchen window, so they are not real sharp, but they do prove that moving water works.

Our best to all who were on this week's Road Scholar birding program. You were a hardy group, and consequently we all enjoyed many special birds in spite of the adverse weather conditions.

Bill & Sally Fintel, Ed Crawford, John Hoyt, and David Weber

PS - A post of links I promised comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment