Wednesday, April 15, 2015

SUMMARY - OLLI Field Trip, 4/15/15, and Bird Feeder Tips

First, we discussed bird feeding and grackle problems. I said I thought on this blog I had posted some detailed information about my home made feeder that excluded Grackles......and yes I had. It is HERE. Also note that I found my own posts by using Labels (on the left) and clicking on feeders. Try it for other topics of interest. Upcoming, will be some today-photos of my Safe Haven Feeder with photos of Purple Finches...so you can compare to more common House Finches.

Today was a productive day, and even an exceptional day compared to last week. Our cumulative class list is now up to 53 species observed, and 6 more heard. Highlights today were certainly the Yellow-throated Warbler, Ovenbird and Pine Warbler (all warblers), plus the large number of American Avocets (my estimate is 300+). Also noteworthy was the Great Horned Owl with chick, the large numbers of Northern Shovelers, good looks at a Hairy Woodpecker, and many very attractive male displaying Red-winged Blackbirds.

So next week at Cape Henlopen, maybe the weather and birds will cooperate, and hopefully we will get to see Piping Plover and Brown-headed Nuthatch, 2 specialties for the Park that we missed on our first trip there.
American Avocet from today's class

No comments:

Post a Comment